Saturday, December 21, 2013

Chow Time

We are on Christmas break, and choirs of angels sang. Well, they would, if getting to sleep an hour later was worthy of angels singing. Last night we finally got some much anticipated and needed snow. And today it's busy trying to blow it all away, so I am inside the house, in between batches of cinnamon rolls, and not napping. 
Last Saturday was pretty mild and Seth must have been feeling good, because instead of feeding with the tractor we loaded the bales on the trailer to pitch off. Back in the good old days I would go to work with Seth a few times a week, sitting in the tractor with a baby in my lap while the cows would get their hay. Turns out they don't make tractors that seat 5 people, so while the amigos go with Seth, I am home with the other ones.
This day I was an excellent driver while my babies were excellent pitch fork wielding hay pitchers.

This girl had pony tail full of straw and hay by the time she got done.

He's just happy to be around some bulls.
 By the time I got around to taking pictures we were on our last bunch. Peyton had spent the morning riding atop bales and kicking the extra over the side. He was beat and made an awesome driving partner 

These two were done in by the end too, leaving the last bale to be fed by their dad. Seth has some serious hay pitching muscles. When we started dating he was working at a place that fed off the back of a hay wagon, with a tractor pulling it through the deep snow in a place not far from Island Park. We spent 80% of our time together hanging out with cows, pretty romantic, I know. Every morning he would pitch something like 300 little bales out, which may be somewhat of an exaggeration but didn't feel like it, especially to someone without any skills. It takes talent to use to a pitch fork, which I still don't have. We got to know each other while working together. (him working, me freezing and watching) And even though I'm still terrible at a lot of cowboy things, I can navigate the truck through the field somewhat decently, which is probably why he's never got rid of me.

3 comments:

Marsha said...

Oh, the days of feeding cattle. It was nice to drive while the cow pies were frozen but if they started to thaw, that's where I usually got in trouble.

Marisa Jean said...

Nothing spells romance like the sound of cows, and the smell of the fields. :) He he. But truthfully, I love your story. I think it actually is quite romantic. Spending hours talking. Sometimes I miss those days. But wait! My husband doesn't really talk all that much, so moreso it would be me talking to myself. I guess it works. Ha ha.

Love all the pictures of the helpers. They are getting so big!

Jess Clark said...

That's one of the great things about the job Seth has ... it's often a family affair. Can't beat that.